Saturday, February 9, 2013

Paper Experiments!

Hey guys!
The hubby took the sicky out for some fresh air, (I still can't get used to the weather here!) so I'm going to try to finish this darn post!





This project is super easy, and super fun. It started as an experiment, just for funsies, but when I saw the beautiful swirl of colors I thought I would try to "capture" it on a piece of paper. We have been "making" paper ever since.

What you'll need:
Spray bottle
Vinegar
Baking Soda
Food coloring (we love the neon!)
Dish and/or tray
Paper (cut to fit in your dish)

All you have to do is mix some vinegar and water in your spray bottle. I usually don't measure... maybe 2 parts water, 1 part vinegar?
•tip: make sure your bottle has an adjustable nozzle, not just the mist, or you'll be spraying all day...

Grab your dish and set it on your tray. You want something with a flat bottom, I like to use a glass pie pan for my dish because you can use bigger pieces of paper. The tray is just to help catch some of the mess, I use a big ol' cookie sheet.





Take your food coloring and drop it all over your dish.  It will all eventually run together, so if you are anal like me, avoid using red and green together or you will end up with brown... It drives me nuts!




Use your Baking Soda and cover the bottom of the dish. You don't want to see the dish, but you don't want it super thick either.






Now for the fun part! Take the squirt bottle and Go. To. Town! Let your Squish squirt away at the Baking Soda. They will LOVE watching the color come through as the Baking Soda fizzes!



When it's nice and fizzy, or completely SOAKED in our case, lay a piece of paper on top and peel it back off.


TA-DA! You have just done a science experiment with your Squish, and made fun marbled paper at the same time! Don't you rock?! If your kids are older you could discuss the science-y stuff that's happening, but right now Grace just loves the "magic."

I usually just keep a little stack of the marbled paper in with Grace's crafty stuff. Yeah... She has her own craty cabinet. She likes to color on it and cover it in "decorates," also known as foam stickers by the rest of the world.




This time I thought it would make for some fun valentines. I just cut a bunch of hearts for her to dip, and let her glue them onto cards after they dried.



  
I also made some "grown-up" cards, and a fun garland on my sewing machine. Just feed it through like you would fabric! For the garland I just made several stitches between the hearts.
•Remember: the paper will dull the heck out of your needle, so be sure you change it when you are done!




Thats it! Super easy, super fun! :)



Oh! Remember that "Top Secret Project?" Here it is; an adorable baby Narwhal! He is on his way to my sister right now, along with a fresh batch of Unicorn Poop!(it's an inside joke.)

Well, that's all I got. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment